Clinical Documentation Educator
HPMG is searching for Clinical Documentation Educators (CDE) to be responsible for providing clinical documentation review, training and support, in all care settings, to physicians and providers. Synthesizes and analyzes local monitoring chart reviews and national audit findings to provide actionable feedback to leadership, physicians and providers on areas for improvement and to ensure compliance with Federal, State and other regulatory standards. Participates in continuous quality improvement processes and workgroups under management supervision.
Various locations available to include O’ahu, Maui, and Hawaii Island.
- For the purposes of Risk Adjustment Data Validation (RADV) and other forms of program-wide documentation validation activities, will review and verify documentation for support of reported diagnoses, and services rendered.
- Performs regionally-directed clinical documentation monitoring reviews to validate that the documentation supports services rendered and diagnoses for reimbursement and reporting purposes.
- Assists in the development and identification of training focus areas that support documentation improvement.
- Provide project management support for regional and national documentation initiatives and tools implementation.
- All essential duties include some travel to hospital and other clinics, to include neighbor islands, as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- In addition to duties listed above, Level II: Serves as the subject matter expert (SME) in clinical documentation review and provides high quality training and mentorship to CDE-I as a part of onboarding and ongoing professional development.
Level I and Level II are non-exempt positions.
- High school diploma, or General Education Diploma (GED) required. Post high school coursework in medical records administration, anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
- At least 1 year of coding, medical records, claims or billing area experience.
- Must be able to obtain Certified Risk Coder (CRC) certification within 18 months from date of hire.
- Associate’s degree in healthcare administration, anatomy, physiology or related field; or equivalent experience in lieu of Associate’s degree.
- At least 3 years of prior coding, medical records, claims or billing experience.
- must obtain CRC certification within 12 months from date of hire.
- At least 1 year of training experience in multi-disciplinary group. Demonstrated experience conducting Medical Record audits and/or maintaining reviews, analyzing audit results, creating action plans, and implementing corrective actions to address audit finding.
- Minimum 1 year of experience reviewing analytical data, identifying coding trends and risk areas.
Levels I and II
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Coding Specialist – Professional (CCS-P) by the AHIMA; or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- Must obtain passing score on internal HPMG Coding CDM Assessment.
- Knowledge of ICD, CPT4, HCPCS and other related documentation requirements.
- Must be willing and able to travel to other clinic locations and hospitals depending upon department and/or physician schedule needs and location.
HPMG offers an excellent benefit packageHPMG is committed to offering industry-leading benefits such as 100% company-sponsored, comprehensive medical and dental insurance for you and your family, life insurance, long-term care insurance, pension and profit sharing plans, retiree medical, paid time off, extended sick time, holidays, and more.
Hawaii Permanente Medical Group (HPMG) is the state's largest and most experienced multi-specialty group with over 600 physicians and providers supported by more than 100 administrative employees. Together, we are dedicated to providing the highest quality clinical care and services possible to Kaiser Permanente members in Hawaii. Many know Hawaii as an attractive tourist destination with beautiful scenery, sunny weather, friendly people, and a host of cultural and recreational opportunities. These elements, and others, make Hawaii an excellent place to live.